CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I have something profound to write!

Photobucket



Kind of? Maybe? Idk.

Tonight I got inspired. Well more like a recharge. That wonderful catalyst I was looking for.

Tonight at the non-profit division meeting for the Penn State Marketing Association (I like how fancy that looks spelled out), a man from CentrePeace came to speak. CentrePeace is a prison ministry, which is a misnomer because it doesnt minister and the word prison sounds scary, but its not scary. Ok. So. He was talking about that when people go looking for internships and jobs they tend to overlook non-profits, and I was sitting there thinking yep totally true. He explained that he used to work in the corporate area, but at the end of the day, even though he was making six figures, he still felt hollow.

How this correlates to me: Months ago I told a few people that I would probably like to work for a non-profit. I got blank stares. People are just like...whyyyy? Totally understandable. I realize I wouldn't make that much money. You know, being in Smeal and at least having the parents that I have, who are both highly educated and work for huge corporations, I keep getting pushed towards shooting for that corporate job like its the most ideal place to work. But to be honest it just feels so...hollow. Which is what I want to avoid at all costs. I dont want to feel hollow. I can't. I refuse. Every other day in Smeal I get bombarded by corporations and so-and-sos info session. I don't want it. I dont want THAT. Why do I keep getting the feeling that I SHOULD want it? I dont want to work for Altria, Delloite, Shell, P&G, Kimberly Clark, KPMG, Target, Exxon, or some other random corporation. I was starting to feel like I should be wanting to work for any of these and it was bumming me out. (hence my previous blog) I lost my focus. It happens. But then I was put back on track tonight at the meeting. =] I feel much better now.

The only corporations I'd ever work for are Walt Disney, NBC Universal, or Viacom. And Nielsen. Thats IT. And I'm sticking to that. Putting my foot down. Drawing the line.

Some people would say I'm limiting myself. I say I know what I want and I'm not settling for anything else.

But if those doors don't open up, then I would absolutely work for a non-profit in a heartbeat. It's what I want. I can see myself in that environment and enjoying it. Or maybe just something small. Like an independent music label. Or a concert/event venue. That sounds like fun too and I'd be able to use what I learned in my minor. Seriously, any of the above, I would be more than satisfied.

Some people define themselves by their career. Thats not really one of my goals. Which I think helps explain why I want what I want and why I DON'T want to work for a corporation. I mean, some people love the corporate culture and thats great. Good for you. You like being in charge of the supply chain for Shell? Awesome. You like marketing Tide, toilette paper, and diapers? You do that.

Do what you love. Fuck the rest.

A-men.